Thursday, July 21, 2011

Little Bump in the Road

I have been blogging here about my experiences with my MINI-E for two years now and I have tried to post frequently so there is always something new to read about when people check back ever few days or so.

I apologize that I have been MIA for a few weeks now but I've been a bit distracted. On Tuesday, July 5th, there was a fire at my restaurant, Nauna's Bella Casa in Montclair. It seems that a roof fan somehow caught on fire and a good section of the roof was damaged. The Montclair Police & Fire departments did a fantastic job and saved the building and made sure nobody got hurt, which is obviously the most important thing. However, I have now been left with the task of rebuilding, which in itself isn't that difficult, but when you need to deal with the fire investigators, get permits & inspections for all the different trades doing work, plus get every little thing approved by the insurance company, it becomes a really big job.

Plus, I have 40 employees that are out of work and without pay so I'm working tirelessly to get reopened as soon as possible and get them all back to work. I do have insurance that will pay a portion of their salaries, but we'll probably be reopened before they see any checks with how slow the insurance company works.

Anyway, sorry for no new MINI-E posts, I'll be back as soon as I have the time to put something together. I'm still driving #250 every day and it's still going strong. Have a nice summer everyone, I'll be back to blogging soon.

14 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about the fire Tom. I wish you luck repairing the damage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NP Tom, everyone appreciates your posts and like me probably assumed you were just taking a well deserved summer break. Too bad that's not it but good to hear you can rebuild and no one got hurt.
    Keep on keeping on and thanks for sharing with us.
    All the best,
    Craig in VA

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sucks! Really sorry to read this Tom. It's funny-not the fire of course, but I was just wondering about why there hasn't been a post in a while, you do such a great job of keeping it fresh I came to expect new posts every few days.

    I bet you're back open in no time!

    Steve Marchese

    ReplyDelete
  4. Arrg! Well at least no one was hurt. Good luck

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry to hear this tom. Best wishes for a quick reopening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tom, so sorry to hear this. I feel like I've gotten to know you through this blog and I really feel bad for you. God speed in making the repairs and I hope your customers fill the dining room for months once you reopen.

    Glen Siemens

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tom, sorry to hear that. Glad no one was hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very sorry too, Tom. Good luck rebuilding the place and getting people back to work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sorry to hear about your misfortune Tom. The important thing as you said is that nobody was hurt. Best of luck with the repairs.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck Tom! Looking forward to you being back on track with the blogging, but first things first!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tom: You will be up and cooking before you know it. I can imagine how had it must be while you have to negotiate with the insurance company, they insist your payment be on time, but they then drag their feet as long as possible when it comes to issuing you a payment on a policy.

    I've been reading your blog(s) for over a year now and have never commented before. You do a wonderful job describing how it is to drive the electric mini and I'm waiting in anticipation to more posts once you have the time to do so.

    Regards,
    Joe D

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry to read this. you have been inspiration I pray you recover quickly Tom

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear about the fire, hope you get things fixed and openned up soon, your MINI E stories are an insperation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you all for he kind words. It's been three weeks now since the fire and I have done just about all the repairs necessary. There's been over $100,000 of repairs and lost inventory so far and that's not counting the business loss.

    However I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel and I just need to clean everything up and get inspections now so hopefully we can reopen within the next ten days or so. Thanks again for all the support!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete