Wednesday, April 7, 2010

I had to do it at least once

Ever since I picked up MINI-E #250 I have had the urge to stop at a gas station and say "Fill er up". Here in New Jersey it's against the law to pump your own gas (crazy I know) so there is always someone there to pump the gas for you. I always thought about doing it, but I really never pull into gas stations any more so the right opportunity never presented itself. The other day I pulled into an Exxon station to get a cup of coffee and instead of pulling in a parking spot I pulled up to a pump got out and walked to the convenience store to get coffee. As I walked away, I said to the attendant "fill please". I was out in a minute or so with my coffee and the guy was looking at me like I had two heads. I quickly told him that he's not crazy and I was just messing with him. He laughed and said he loved the car(especially the license plate!) and wished he had one. He had a bunch of questions about range, the electricity cost, etc; all the usual questions I get all the time. I asked him if I can take a picture of him and he happily obliged. OK, now I can cross that off my list.

8 comments:

  1. you couldn't resist :)

    keep up the frequent posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, but don't you charge the car where the fuel door is? What if he have accidentally started pouring gasoline there? The joke would have been on you then!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dan, yes I plug in the outlet that is behind the "fuel" door, exactly where you would put gasoline in a regular MINI. The nozzle has no where to go and there is a big sticker that warns "NO FUEL" so it would take a monumental moron to try to put gas there. You would have to hold the nozzle in the air and spray gas on it because the nozzle has no where to be inserted into.

    I suppose it's possible that he could have done something stupid like that but I can't really see anyone seriously thinking that it what they are supposed to do and I was watching what hw was doing to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny, he should be worried about his job security. The Mini e and others that are spawned from it will inevitably be the petrol stations demise

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomothy im SOOOO proud of you !!! cooollll stories , cool blog - more on mail ! didnt know you are such an environmental conscious person :) - good on you !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Melanie!

    It's about time you started reading my blog! See, not everyone in the US drives big trucks like you Germans think we do!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm jealous. Your having too much fun with that car!

    ReplyDelete