Monday, January 18, 2010

What a difference 20 degrees makes!


It was a beautiful day in Northern New Jersey today, a good 20 degrees warmer than we've had for a while. The outside temperature gauge in my MINI-E actually read 55 for a while. I don't know how accurate it is, but it sure felt nice out. The MINI-E batteries liked the warm weather also. My range shot back up to heights I haven't seen in months. I drove 79 miles and still had 12% charge remaining, which would be good for at least another 10 to 15 miles. I haven't gotten over 90 miles on a single charge since November as I have been averaging in the mid-seventies to mid-eighties per charge lately. I believe the biggest difference is that I didn't use the heater at all and that's probably the main culprit with the range reduction in the cold weather, more-so than the temperature drop itself. Well, we're only a couple months away from spring and I'm looking forward to my range going up just like the temperature.

3 comments:

  1. For most commuters, even the 70+ miles per charge you are getting in the cold weather would be plenty. I think I remember reading that 80% of us drive less than 40 miles round trip to work. Of course, most would still need a second family car for further trips, but you could definitely use this as your commuter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is the best range you've seen?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raaji,
    In warmer weather(above 60 degrees) I would routinely get 110 to 120 miles per charge. The most I've driven on a single charge was 123 miles but I'm sure I could have driven another 7 to 10 miles that day. When the weather gets warmer I plan to really push it one day and try for 130+. Thanks for reading the blog.

    ReplyDelete